Luminair offers some different grouping options for DMX and Smart lights. For DMX lights, you can choose between Groups, or Fixture Linking if the lights are identical.
Groups allow you to control either multiple identical fixtures, or similar fixtures from different manufacturers or models, all together as one.
- To add a new DMX Group, tap/click + in the main toolbar or side panel, and select “DMX Group”.
- If the fixtures grouped together are identical (same manufacturer and model), Luminair will display controls for all of the fixture’s parameters.
- If the fixtures aren’t identical, Luminair will choose only similar parameters to display for this group. As an example, if two lights grouped together only have a RGB or similar color parameter and an intensity control, then only those parameters will be controlled and displayed within the group. You can still edit other parameters manually by selecting the fixture in the main side panel.
- Fixtures can only be added to a single group (or Fixture Linked, as described in next section)
- Groups are global, meaning the group members are included in all scenes. (you can’t have a fixture grouped in one scene but not other ones)
- “Legacy” groups from v3 and earlier versions are also still available. Legacy DMX groups are just basic containers that holds individual fader parameters. They were originally designed to make it easier to work with things like dimmer banks and aren’t applicable if you want to control entire fixtures together.
Fixture Linking allows you to link and control multiple identical DMX fixtures together and select which parameters to link on a scene by scene basis.
- Fixture linking allows you to link and control multiple identical DMX fixtures (same manufacturer and model) within your project together.
- To enable fixture linking, you need to first filter into the group/fixture mode. If this view isn’t already visible, this mode can be opened by selecting the fixture in the main side panel or by tapping/clicking on the small white fixture name above the faders in Controls mode and selecting “Edit” in the popup view that appears.
- In the view that appears tap/click the large white fixture name in the center of the toolbar (see photo). In the next view, tap/click on "Linked" in the list. Any identical fixtures already included in your project will be listed. Tap/click on each fixture to link them.
- All linked fixtures can now be controlled together using the parameters/faders in any of the selected fixtures. Linked fixtures are saved on a per-scene basis so you can have independent control in some scenes while linked in others.
- You can select which parameters in the fixture are linked and which remain independent by selecting the "Parameters" option in the fixture options popup.
To group Smart Lights, tap the arrow button above the fader parameter in the control view, and then select "Not Grouped" to assign a new group.